Religious History and Religious Studies Syllabi from the Past Semester

Lincoln Mullen

Happy New Year, Religion in American History readers.

One of my favorite ways to get to know a scholar is to read her syllabi. Syllabi show how scholars put together a whole field. (And probably no text reveals personality as much as the introduction and policies on a syllabus.) Yet unfortunately teaching documents are shared less routinely than our research, so we are much more likely to know a scholar's books and articles than her syllabi. Following the example of Paul Putz's regular lists of new books, I intend to start a posting a roundup of syllabi for religious history and religious studies from the past semester from whoever wishes to contribute.

So here is a list of past syllabi from people who replied to my entreaties. Only a small number replied this first time, but if you would like to add your syllabus to this list, feel free to leave a link in the comments, or you can e-mail me a document and I'll add it (lincoln@lincolnmullen.com).

N.B. The following syllabi have been added since this post was first published:

Comments

Here's a link to my Empire and the Construction of Religion course from last semester:

https://alabama.box.com/s/lj9t9xlxjkfhxinqq14q
Unknown said…
Thanks, Mike. I've also added your syllabus to the body of the post.
Jonathan said…
Lincoln,

First, thanks for gathering and posting these. It's a service and a help for people at all stages of teaching.

Second, you say that you really come to know people and teaching through syllabi. For a subsequent post, I'd be interested in your reflecting on the trends you see in these syllabi.
Unknown said…
Thanks for the suggestion, Jonathan. I'll think about doing that next time.

Popular Posts